*The Prankster estimates the true cost to be around £7.50.
The Prankster has been sent in some pictures from a different hospital. This car park is managed by Total Parking Solutions. While The Prankster may not agree with everything Total Parking Solutions does, this particular setup is much fairer to the motorist.
Here, the motorist just turns up, parks, and does their business at the hospital. When they leave, the system knows how long they stayed and charges accordingly.
The system uses ANPR to record the vehicle entry and exit time so that the time of stay can be calculated. When you leave you start to type in your registration. You are then told the fee owed.
The Prankster feels this is a much fairer way of doing things.
- you don't get charged for not guessing the time of stay correctly when you arrive
- you don't get charged for not guessing the time of stay correctly when you leave
- you only get charged for the time you park; you don't have to overpay 'just in case'
- you don't get charged if you mistype the registration - because you can only enter registrations on the system
- you don't get charged for forgetting you are using a different car today - because you can only enter registrations on the system
Hospital parking by its very nature involves uncertain durations of stay, and also ill people, the elderly, pregnant mothers and many vulnerable people. It is not right that hospitals pass over their responsibilities to these people by opting for a 'free' system which is in reality paid for by fleecing the vulnerable.
What a pity Total Parking Solutions did not win the contract for Northumbria NHS. I'm sure Northumbria NHS would be getting far fewer problems if they had.
The Parking Prankster